Antarctica – Highlights of the Frozen Continent – 12 days
- See the best Antarctica has to offer on an advanced expedition cruise
- Encounter massive glaciers, icebergs, polar landscapes and rich wildlife
- Enjoy a mix of landings and ice-cruising as well as optional adventures
- Experience the Science Center with fascinating lectures and activities onboard
Cultural and Cool
Your adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover “Paris of South America” on a warm spring/summer day, or extend your stay with an optional pre- and/or post-cruise Land Adventure to explore Wild Patagonia.
Crossing the Drake Passage
Drake Passage – At sea
Prepare yourself for Antarctica as we cross famed Drake Passage. MS Fridtjof Nansen is designed to make polar exploration a pleasure for all ages and learning levels. There will be lectures on the environment, films about Antarctica in the Science Center, and the ship offers a pool, hot tubs and a wellness center to enrich your journey.
Antarctica … Another World! – Antarctica
Welcome to the most remote area on Earth! Come ashore to explore breathtaking Antarctic scenery and encounter penguins. From on deck, there will be ample opportunities to sight whales and seals.
We always work with the elements in Antarctica, and intend to land on the South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula.
The places we visit offer opportunities to discreetly observe different types of penguin colonies, seals, and whales, as well as see glaciers and icebergs in every shape and color. We also visit whaling stations and scientific facilities.
Our activities are varied and exciting. One day you might go ashore to see penguins and hear the ominous crackling of glacial ice. The next day, you may feel the wind on your face as we cruise amidst sea ice searching for seals. Another day may entail kayaking or a walk. Our onboard photographer will be on hand to show you the basics of expedition photography to capture these amazing experiences.
Heading back to civilization
Drake Passage – At sea
After exploring this exhilarating continent, we set our course back to civilization. Spend the day at sea recapping your experiences, having fun in the Science Center or just relaxing on deck, spotting the many sea birds that follow our ship.
The end of the adventure
Ushuaia/Buenos Aires – Disembarkation & Flight
Our Antarctic expedition cruise ends as we reach Ushuaia, and we transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. For more adventure, you can extend your stay and enjoy our optional post-cruise Land Adventures.
MS FRIDTJOF NANSEN
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom-built ships – and represents the next generation of expedition ships. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Featuring Hurtigruten’s revolutionary, battery-powered, hybrid propulsion system, MS Fridtjof Nansen will be a near identical twin to her sister ship MS Roald Amundsen. Combining state-of-the-art technology and a premium on board experience with Hurtigruten’s 125 years of experience and unparalleled destinations, the two Norwegian built ships introduce the next generation of adventure travel.
Year of construction 2020
Ship yard Kleven Yards, Norway
Passenger capacity 530
Gross tonnage 20 889 T
Length 140 m
Speed 15 knots
Installed power: 42 KW
Construction: Vard Langsten-Tomrefjord-Norway
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Coach-class flights between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
- Transfers in Ushuaia including one orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and landings with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team – an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- A farewell event
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Health declaration form mandatory