Antarctica, Patagonia and Chilean Fjords – Voyage of Discovery (Southbound) 2021
- Experience Patagonia and Antarctica in one expedition cruise
- Discover the magnificent Chilean fjords
- See Cape Horn and cross the Drake Passage
- Enjoy ice-cruising, landings and wildlife encounters in Antarctica
The “Jewel of the Pacific”
Valparaíso – Full Day
This expedition cruise starts in colorful Valparaíso. One of the best ways of seeing the city is by riding its funiculars for sweeping views. We also recommend extending your adventure by exploring the amazing Atacama Desert through our optional pre-cruise Land Adventure before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen.
Puerto Edén – Half Day
The village of Puerto Edén in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park will enchant you. It is known for its geographical isolation, situated at the end of a deep fjord and surrounded by mountains. Its population of 250 includes the 15 remaining members of the Kawéskar people.
Torres del Paine National Park
Puerto Natales – Overnight stay
Puerto Natales is the gateway to Torres del Paine National Park, world famous for the impressive “Torres del Paine” rock formation. Explore the park on our optional excursion to discover a landscape of stunning variety. Watch for llamas, pumas, and foxes in addition to many species of birds, like the Andean condor.
A Paradise for Nature Lovers
Deep fjords and tall mountains plunging into icy waters characterize this wild area that almost seems untouched by humans. Glacial ice has scoured its way between the mountains, creating the lovely isolated islands and hidden bays that form this unique fjord landscape.
Cape Horn and the Drake Passage
In the morning we will sail through scenic Beagle Channel before continuing into open waters, and if conditions allow, we will make an attempt to land on Cape Horn – the southernmost tip of South America.
Next, we sail the legendary Drake Passage while our lecture series prepares you for Antarctica’s fantastic wildlife and history.
The Most Remote and Beautiful Places on Earth
Antarctica never ceases to amaze and astound. Ninety percent of the world´s ice is here, and the continent virtually doubles in size due to sea ice in the winter. In summer, it is a cradle of life, a vital breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
As outlined in the Antarctic Treaty, this is a continent dedicated to peace, science and tourism that has evolved through millenniums without human interference. Therefore, we adhere to very strict environmental guidelines. We want to leave nothing but our footprints and take nothing but pictures!
The elements rule in Antarctica, and our experienced captain will create the best itinerary possible for your adventure. We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on the Antarctic Peninsula and show you the diversity of the region´s wildlife and landscape.
Our expert expedition team will take you on ice-cruising outings and exciting landing activities. There may also be the chance to kayak in the company of whales and icebergs, hike in amazing scenery and perhaps camp on the world´s most isolated continent.
It´s hard to put this wild beauty into words. As a well-known quote from a veteran Antarctic traveler puts it: “If you can describe Antarctica with words, you have probably never been there.”
The End of the Expedition
Punta Arenas / Santiago de Chile
Sadly, every expedition must come to an end. When we reach Punta Arenas, on the edge of the Strait of Magellan, it is time to say goodbye. Your journey home continues with a flight to Santiago de Chile, where you have a chance to extend your stay and enjoy our optional post-cruise Land Adventures.
MS ROALD AMUNDSEN
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
MS Roald Amundsen is the first of two hybrid ships Hurtigruten will add to its fleet over the next few years, cutting emissions by sailing with electrical propulsion. Hybrid technology, combined with the advanced construction of the hull and effective use of electricity on board will reduce fuel consumption and CO2-emissions on the ships by 20 percent. The build of these two ships represents the largest single investment in the history of Hurtigruten.
The future of shipping will be silent and emission free. MS Roald Amundsen will lead the way towards an even more sustainable way of traveling. Sailing on electrical power is not only a great benefit for the environment, but it will also enhance the impact of experiencing nature for the guests. The ship will be specially constructed for voyages in polar waters and serve as a comfortable basecamp at sea – bringing adventurers from all over the world to the most spectacular destinations in the most sustainable way.
Year of construction: 2019
Ship yard: Kleven Yards
Passenger capacity: 500
Gross tonnage: 20 889 T
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer ship to airport in Punta Arenas
- Coach-class flight from Punta Arenas to Santiago de Chile
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including small boat cruising and onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team – an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see, while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory.