Antarctica and Falklands – Southern Hemisphere Adventure – 2022
On this adventure you will experience South America, the Falkland Islands – and Antarctica. See penguins, seals and whales. Take hikes on the ice and go kayaking among icebergs. The extensive onboard programe, excursions and activities make this a dream for any adventurer, regardless of age.
Experience Antarctica, the Falklands and South America
See the amazing wildlife of the southern hemisphere, some up close
Go ashore in Antarctica and go kayaking in the most remote place on Earth
Wide-ranging Science program and Young Explorer program
The vibrant capital of Argentina
Enjoy an overnight hotel stay in Buenos Aires, and discover its enchanting combination of European flair and Latin American charm.
Embarking the expedition
After a three-hour flight, you find yourself in the southernmost town in the world, flanked by the most southern point of the Andes Mountain Range. In Ushuaia, MS Midnatsol is ready to take you south. And we kick off everything with a Welcome dinner.
Enjoy the activities on board
Location: Drake Passage
A day at sea is full of activity. Our Expedition team will most likely convince everybody on board that science is fun! We can promise first class edutainment. Once we have crossed the Antarctic Convergence, you will notice that the air becomes crisper and colder. From deck, you might start seeing icebergs in the water, maybe whales as well.
Penguins, icebergs, seals and whales
Antarctica is sure to overwhelm you. Endless white horizons, oceans are full of glorious icebergs and whales. Maybe even more awe-inspiring will be your meeting with the huge colonies of penguins. They are not afraid of humans; you can look forward to true close encounters with this most charming of bird species. Come ashore to explore the impressive Antarctic scenery. From deck, there are great chances to spot whales. Enjoy close encounters with wildlife and glaciers, old whaling stations and relics. You are in one of the most remote areas of the world and the sensations are non-stop. We will land several times for unforgettable experiences. Among the locations we may visit are Half Moon Island, Yankee Harbour and Cuverville Island, home to a large colony of Gentoo penguins. Neko Harbour is beautifully located in the innermost part of Andvord Bay, and Paradise Harbour got its descriptive name from the whalers who came here long ago. When the storms were at their worst, this is where they came to seek shelter. The high glacier walls in Wilhelmina Bay convey the mighty power of ice, from calving glacier fronts to floating ice.
Day 10 – 11
Relaxing on MS Fridtjof Nansen
Enjoy a day at sea, sharing experiences, exchanging stories, photos and films with your fellow adventurers. Be on deck to fully enjoy the feeling of being at sea. Use the state-of-the-art microscopes in the ship’s Science Center, you can analyse samples taken during the expedition cruise to see another kind of ‘wildlife’ at the cellular level. Participate in the continued lecture program, held by the expedition team.
Penguins, pubs and wilderness
When you arrive the Falkland Islands, you will experience everything from red buses and English pubs in the capital Stanley to penguins, hikes in the hills or along the coastline or kayaking clear waters. New Island is an adorable inlet, with sandy white beaches and turquoise waters. It could easily be mistaken for a Caribbean island, if the sun was a little stronger. We pass an old shipwreck on our way ashore to enjoy a day amongst penguins and seals. While we are here, you can join several excursions like history tours, bird watching tours, nature walks and even a scenic plane tour where you can discover the Falklands by air in a classic island-hopping aircraft.
Included activity: Stanley – Community Walk
The beginning of the end of the adventure
After exhilarating days in Antarctica and the Falklands, the final days on board are spent crossing the South Atlantic Ocean. Spend time with family, old friends, new friends and our Expedition team, and enjoy the farewell dinner on the last evening.
UNESCO World Heritage site
Location: Puerto Madryn
Enjoy the Valdes Peninsula, which is a stunning nature reserve, also declared to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Choose from a wide variety of optional excursions starting in Puerto Madryn that bring you closer to wildlife and let you experience the gaucho lifestyle of Patagonia.
Waters of Patagonia
The expedition continues north through the fabled waters of Patagonia. As we sail through iconic Andean seascapes, you have plenty of time to gaze out on the magnificent natural expanse. There might also be trivia contests covering questions about explorer history and Antarctic wildlife. We might also hold auctions to raise money for specific causes. These on board auctions have contributed to the most ambitious habitat restoration project on Earth; South Georgia, protection of the Albatross and maintenance of research stations in Antarctica. With the help of our guests, we will continue to raises funds and awareness of opportunities and challenges in the areas we visit.
The Birthplace of Tango
Location: Buenos Aires
End your experience in vibrant Buenos Aires and explore the city of Tango before returning home.
Price from $11,129 USD per person
Included in Your Expedition
- Overnight in Buenos Aires before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- Flight in economy class from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfer from the hotel in Buenos Aires to Buenos Aires airport before the expedition cruise
- Transfers from Ushuaia airport to the ship, including a brief tour of the town
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna with floor-to-ceiling window, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Antarctica
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings