Exploration of Antarctica, Patagonia and the Falklands – Southbound
- Experience Antarctica, Patagonia, the Falklands and South America on one cruise
- See amazing wildlife, such as penguins, seals, whales and albatrosses
- Go ashore on landings and enjoy ice-cruising in the most remote place on Earth
- Enjoy a wide-ranging science and activity program led by our expert expedition team
Welcome to South America!
Montevideo – Hotel
Enjoy an overnight stay in Montevideo, the scenic capital of Uruguay.
A Vibrant Capital in Spring
Montevideo – Embarkation
Montevideo boasts colorful cultural diversity, with a picturesque blend of colonial Spanish, Italian and Art Deco architectural styles. Enjoy a tour through this historic city before embarking on MS Fridtjof Nansen for your polar adventure.
Wildlife and Lectures
Enjoy the first days onboard! The expedition team will start the lecture program, covering history, the great explorers, marine biology, wildlife and oceanography. Spend some time on deck and enjoy the sun and warm temperatures, while you watch for wildlife on our way south.
World Heritage Highlights
Puerto Madryn – Half Day
Visit Valdez Peninsula, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Situated on Argentina’s Patagonian coast, this peninsula is home to some of the country’s most dramatic wildlife habitats. Enjoy our optional excursions starting in Puerto Madryn that bring you closer to wildlife and let you experience the Gaucho-lifestyle of Patagonia.
Relaxing on MS Fridtjof Nansen
Relax in the tranquility of a day at sea, sharing experiences and exchanging stories with your fellow adventurers. Enjoy the amenities of our innovative expedition ship and watch for wildlife from our outer decks.
Pubs, Penguins and Perfect Wilderness
The Falkland Islands
As we reach the westernmost outposts of the Falklands, you will see remote farms that have been family-owned for several generations. We hope to call on New Island, which boasts white sandy beaches and turquoise waters that could easily be mistaken for those on a Caribbean isle.
We may go ashore on Carcass Island – an aviary paradise with ducks, geese, penguins, albatrosses, caracaras and wrens. Our expedition team will look for every opportunity to take you exploring, hiking or cruising to get a closer look at local wildlife.
Stanley, the inviting capital of the Falklands, is an ideal size for roaming the streets on foot. Or, you can join an optional excursion to explore wilderness and wildlife in the surrounding area. We will be docked at Stanley throughout the day.
Enjoy the Onboard Activities
Drake Passage – At sea
Days at sea are full of activity. Our expert expedition team will present talks and lectures on fascinating topics in the Science Center. This is also a good time to enjoy the ship’s wellness area and pools.
Once we have crossed the Antarctic Convergence, and started our approach to Antarctica, you will notice that the air becomes crisper and colder. From on deck, you might start seeing icebergs in the water, and perhaps the first sightings of whales.
Penguins, Icebergs, Seals and Whales
Antarctica never fails to inspire awe and wonder with its white horizons looming above seas full of icebergs and whales. Perhaps even more awe-inspiring will be your first meeting with huge colonies of fearless penguins on pristine ice.
Our captain and expedition team work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your adventure. They look for every chance to go ice-cruising or on landings designed to let you explore the most beautiful and remote places on Earth.
We will attempt landings at several sites in the South Shetlands and on Antarctic Peninsula – bringing you close to the incredible diversity of wildlife and landscapes these areas offer.
Everywhere we explore in Antarctica is truly pristine and offers great opportunities to unobstrusively observe penguin colonies, seals, whales, glaciers and icebergs in every shape and color.
Nowhere else on Earth has such untouched wild beauty, exploration history and rich wildlife. Antarctica is unlike anywhere you´ve ever been!
The Legendary Drake Passage
Drake Passage – At sea
After exhilarating days in Antarctica and the Falklands, our final days are spent crossing Drake Passage. Spend time recapping our experiences with the expedition team in the Science Center and enjoy a farewell dinner on the last evening.
The Southernmost Town in the World
Arriving in Ushuaia, it’s time to say goodbye. We transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. If you want to explore further before going home, join one of our optional post-cruise Land Adventure excursions.
Included in Your Expedition
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Montevideo before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to ship in Montevideo including city tour
- Transfer ship to airport in Ushuaia
- Coach-class flight Ushuaia to Buenos Aires
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and landings with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team – an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program with educational and Citizen Science activities that teach you about the sights you’ll see, while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not Included In Your Expedition
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo program with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory.