Iceland, Jan Mayen and Spitsbergen – Arctic Islands Discovery
- Explore mystical Iceland – the land of fire and ice
- Enjoy the Midnight Sun
- Experience majestic glaciers close up
- Experience a paradise for bird and whale watching
The World’s Northernmost Capital
Reykjavík is the world’s northernmost capital city, surrounded by fantastic natural beauty including geysers, mountains, glaciers and geothermal baths. This is a city well worth exploring before embarking on your expedition ship, MS Fridtjof Nansen.
Stykkishólmur has well-preserved old houses in the town center and is surrounded by wonderful scenery. Enjoy exploring the town’s interesting museums or join optional excursions to iconic sites on Snæfellsnes Penninsula, such as the Lóndrangar basalt cliffs or the black sand beaches of Djúpalónssandur.
Patreksfjördur is a charming settlement on the west coast with around 660 inhabitants. The picturesque fjord offers scenic hiking trails if conditions allow. Patreksfjördur is also close to the spectacular waterfall of Dynjandi and to Látrabjarg, a renowned site for birdwatching.
Step Across the Arctic Circle
We will use our tender boats to reach this green and grassy island. It is probably best known for its proximity to the Arctic Circle, which cuts across the island. With favorable conditions, you will have the chance to step across that iconic line, north to south.
Lively Akureyri is famous for its botanical gardens and pretty traffic lights. This is the most populous community outside Reykjavík, and the center of trade, culture and services for the north of Iceland. Akureyri is close to many of Iceland’s most renowned natural treasures, likes Lake Mývatn and Goðafoss waterfall.
Towards Jan Mayen
Enjoy a relaxing day at sea with onboard lectures as we head towards Jan Mayen. Our expedition team will present talks and workshops and share their knowledge and experience. You will also have the chance to visit our science center to learn more.
The Norwegian island of Jan Mayen has two main areas. The north is dominated by ice-capped Beerenberg, the northernmost active volcano on Earth. The south is flatter and unglaciated, and where 30 people live at a weather station. The island is a breeding site for large numbers of seabirds such as fulmars, auks, and guillemots.
Visits to Jan Mayen are extremely rare, and Hurtigruten is one of the few to attempt landings on this Arctic island.
As we sail further north and the air cools, it’s possible we will be joined by an escort of fulmars flying alongside at port-hole level! Sea days are a chance to sort out your photos, relax and recharge for the adventures ahead.
Days 9- 12
Summertime in the Svalbard Archipelago is when polar bears trek along the coast’s drifting ice on the hunt for seals. With a bit of luck, we hope to spot one or more of these top predators in the national park.
Depending on the movement and thickness of the sea ice, we might visit Kongsfjord´s mighty glaciers and catch sight of icebergs calving into the sea. We may also call on Ny-Ålesund, a former mining town now transformed into an international science center. Here, you’ll find 16 permanent research stations from 10 countries dedicated to the study of glaciology, wildlife, and climate change.
Longyearbyen / Oslo
Arrive in Longyearbyen after a remarkable voyage. Transfer to the airport for your flight back to Oslo or explore Svalbard’s capital further with a Post-program. Nestled next to the Isfjord and surrounded by rugged mountains, Longyearbyen offers even more adventure here in the High Arctic.
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram honors the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology and making her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in polar regions.
Many boast of their “ultimate” expedition ships. But none, save the MS Fram, contains two critical features which deliver adventure in a more safe and comfortable way. MS Fram is a purpose-build expedition ship built especially for comfortable Explorer voyages, with emphasis on relaxation and discovery.
MS Fram was built in 2007 with one mission in mind – to bring her guests closer to nature, wildlife and unforgettable experiences. As well as offering numerous lounges in which to relax, our more active guests can use our well-equipped gym. Meanwhile, on deck, our Jacuzzis guarantee you surreal memories when passing the towering icebergs of Antarctica or Greenland. To keep up with what’s happening on the MS Fram right now and the amazing experiences our passengers are having, stay up to date with the MS Fram blog.
MS Fram is designed for sailing in polar waters, holds the highest safety standards and is the perfect size for optimum nautical manoeuverability and guests’ comfort. With space for only 276 guests, you are sure to get to know many of your fellow travellers. You will share stunning sights and memories of a lifetime long after returning home.
Year of construction 2007
Year of refurbishment 2020
Ship yard Fincanteiri, Italy
Passenger capacity 318
Gross tonnage 11647
Included in Your Expedition
- Transfer from the ship to the airport in Longyearbyen after the expedition cruise
- Flight in coach class from Longyearbyen to Oslo after the expedition cruise
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organize and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center, which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science program allows guests to assist with currrent scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, sauna, indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small explorer boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition photographers help with your camera settings before landings